I am a Filipino working as a burn nurse in the US, its been 6 months since I entered my job. If nursing is already a tough job, it is tougher for foreign people, or at least to me. Here are some of the hurdles I had encountered in my first 6 months,
1. Language
Although in my country, English is our second language but there are a number of medical terms which is pronounced differently from how we pronounced it in Philippines. Example: HEMOGLOBIN, in Filipino English, we pronounced it as "he-MOH-glo-bin", but when I practiced here, it is pronounced as "HEE-mowg-low ". Different right?
2. Tardiness
In Philippines, if you are late for work, even for a day, you will be called and be asked why. In here, you can be tardy all you want, no one would ask since they are understaffed
3. Equipment
All machines and gadgets in this country are all state of the art. In our country, its left in the cavemen era. IV pumps do not exist in our country but the traditional drip counting conventional IV poles do.
4. Salary
Nurses are paid triple as much as in our country.
5. Patients
Patients here are more demanding and attention-seeking
6. Co-workers
I honestly cannot relate to a lot of humors here. My co-workers will all laugh and sometimes, I just pretend to laugh not knowing what I am laughing at. They are nice though :)
7. Diversity
The environment here is composed of different races and skin, and all of them are accepted equally while if you are in our country, you would be the object of curiosity
These are just some of my observations I have at heart :) Til my next post. :)
1. Language
Although in my country, English is our second language but there are a number of medical terms which is pronounced differently from how we pronounced it in Philippines. Example: HEMOGLOBIN, in Filipino English, we pronounced it as "he-MOH-glo-bin", but when I practiced here, it is pronounced as "HEE-mowg-low ". Different right?
2. Tardiness
In Philippines, if you are late for work, even for a day, you will be called and be asked why. In here, you can be tardy all you want, no one would ask since they are understaffed
3. Equipment
All machines and gadgets in this country are all state of the art. In our country, its left in the cavemen era. IV pumps do not exist in our country but the traditional drip counting conventional IV poles do.
4. Salary
Nurses are paid triple as much as in our country.
5. Patients
Patients here are more demanding and attention-seeking
6. Co-workers
I honestly cannot relate to a lot of humors here. My co-workers will all laugh and sometimes, I just pretend to laugh not knowing what I am laughing at. They are nice though :)
7. Diversity
The environment here is composed of different races and skin, and all of them are accepted equally while if you are in our country, you would be the object of curiosity
These are just some of my observations I have at heart :) Til my next post. :)
Halaaaaaaa
ReplyDelete